Volunteer Opportunities around Lebanon County
Check this page regularly for a list of volunteer opportunities at non-profit organizations around the county. If you are interested in volunteering with a particular agency/project, please contact that listing directly for more information. Email Erika Zaborny at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like United Way to post one ore more volunteer opportunities for your organization.
Date-sensitive volunteer opportunities
Susquehanna Valley Pregnancy Services: “Walk Run for Life”
Contact: Heather Muncy, Events Director | Phone: 717-274-5128 ext. 315
Date: Saturday May 13, 2017 8:30 am-11:30am
Where: South Hills Park, Lebanon
If interested in learning more about ways you can volunteer that morning contact Heather (above).
Domestic Violence Intervention of Lebanon County, Inc.: Victim Advocate Training
Contact: Mike Ritter | email@example.com | 717-273-7154
Dates(s): April 29, May 6 and May 20, 2017 – all class sessions must be attended to successfully complete training
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Advocate training prepares you for:
- Crisis intervention on 24-hour hotline
- Emergency shelter intake
- Safety planning & lethality assessment
- Goal planning
- Individual & systems advocacy
On-going or year-round volunteer opportunities
Humane Society of Lebanon County | Contact: Kacy Hess | Phone: 717-628-1369 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Address: 150 Ramona Rd., Myerstown, PA 17067
Story Tails – A Volunteer Program for Kids!:
- Who: Kids ages 5-15 with adult supervision.
- What: Kids get to practice their reading skills in front of a safe non-judgemental audience…..our cats!!! Children can bring in their own books or choose one from our library. After reading five books, kids can enter their name for the chance to win a prize!
- When: Tuesday- Sunday 11:00am-4:30pm. Wednesdays we are open till 6:30pm.
- Where: The Humane Society of Lebanon County located at 150 N. Ramona Rd Myerstown, PA 17067. The reading can take place in our Cat Colony or one of the Meet & Greet rooms.
- How it works: Parents must sign up their children online at lebanonhumane.org. for a half hour time slot.. The sign up calendar can be found in “Kids Corner,” on our homepage. Parents must also fill out a waiver form and accompany their children the entire time.
American Red Cross – Lebanon County Disaster Action Team Member | Contact: Hope Roaten, Disaster Specialist | Phone: 717-234-3101 ext 1202 | email: email@example.com | Address: 1220 Mifflin St., Lebanon, PA 17046
Purpose: Assist Red Cross in delivering mission to provide relief to victims of disasters and help prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.
- Provide timely response to disasters and assist those affected.
- Respond to disaster scenes as assigned by Team Leader within two hours.
- Meet the needs of those affected by disasters such as the need for shelter and food by providing Red Cross services.
- Complete forms related to services provided.
- Provide referrals to other agencies.
- Communicate to Team Leader about availability and readiness on a regular basis.
American Red Cross – Lebanon County Blood Donor Ambassador | Contact: Ashley Derr, Volunteer Services Lead Specialist | Phone: 717-234-3101 ext 1245 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Address: 1220 Mifflin St., Lebanon, PA 17046
Purpose: Provide excellent and enthusiastic customer service to enhance the blood donor experience. Engage with blood donors to make the donation experience fulfilling and set the stage for a long-term commitment to regular blood donations. Understand the American Red Cross core mission, vision and values, and represent these values through the delivery of excellent customer service.
- Welcoming and greeting donors, escorting them as necessary and assisting with the initial intake and hand-offs for the blood donation process.
- Ensuring that donors have all relevant information and that questions are answered appropriately.
- Learn and share the Red Cross story, including the mission, vision and values with the donors.
- Create a favorable impression of the American Red Cross and the blood donation process that will encourage continued donor support.
- Make reminder calls, re-schedule blood donor appointments and perform donor follow-up activities. As directed.
- Be available and committed to the assigned volunteer schedule.
- Model excellent customer service behaviors to all Red Cross donors, volunteers and employees.
- Set up and maintain cleanliness in reception and hospitality areas.
Caring Hospice Services of South Central Pa | Contact: Denise Almond, Volunteer Coordinator | 717-295-1700 (office phone number) or 215-868-8139 (work cell) | www.caringhospice.com.
Caring Hospice Services of South Central Pa is looking for compassionate volunteers to visit patients in the Lebanon County area. We could use volunteers to sit bedside with patients, keeping them company or reading to them. If you have a musical ability our patients always enjoy a vocal or instrumental visit.
VisionCorps – Volunteer help needed for vision impaired | Dawn Rissmiller, Volunteer Coordinator | 1.866.876.6550 ext. 4143
- Many positions require only a few hours a week or month. There is a special demand for drivers and “friendly visitors.” Call today to learn more.
- Drivers: Transport clients in our vehicles or yours to Support Group, Insight, appointments, grocery store, etc. Commitment of 2 –5 hours per month required. Position available in Lancaster & Lebanon Counties.
- Friendly Visitor: Visit clients in their home to provide assistance with opening/reading mail, labeling items, organizing shelves, and being an overall “friend”. Some clients appreciate the opportunity to get out and go to the store, and locating items or reading labels are a challenge. Assist with this request or call ahead to see if they need something and deliver it to their home. A commitment of 3 hours per week or as many as you would like depending on your availability. Positions available in Lancaster & Lebanon Counties.
Ongoing Volunteer Positions available at the following times/locations:
- Information Desk – Weekends
- Nursing Unit Support – Various days & hours
- Clerical Support – Weekdays
- Transport – Weekdays
Phoenix Youth Center 325 South Railroad Street, Suite 6, Palmyra, PA | Contact: 838-0302 | www.phoenixyouthcenter.org
Ongoing need for volunteers who are interested in having fun with children between the ages of 9 and 14 years of age. Volunteers needed for the following times/activities:
- Homework Club – Mondays & Wednesdays – 2:45pm – 5:00pm
Developmental & Disability Services 1126 Walnut Street, Lebanon, PA | Contact: Jessica Penchard | email@example.com | 717-274-3493 | www.ddslebanon.org | ***DDS is looking for Volunteer Buddies to accompany campers during the Summer Stars Day Camp. The Summer Stars Day Camp is a day camp for youth of all abilities. The role of the Buddy is to ensure that campers have an enjoyable camp experience. Buddies should be at least 16 years of age. Camp runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteer Applications are available on our website:
http://www.ddslebanon.org/summerstarsdaycamp.htmlPosted 5/15 – ***Looking for skilled volunteer to paint the board/community room. Volunteers also needed to shampoo rugs and clean windows. Good project for a small volunteer group of about 4 people. Ongoing need for volunteers who would like to wash children’s toys on a weekly basis. Clean sterile environment.Ongoing need for volunteers who would like to weed and tend to garden area – maintain Natural Therapy area. –
There are many ongoing opportunities for volunteerism with the Boy Scouts. There are large activities for boys ages 6 to 18 each year, as well as support positions for the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venture Crews throughout LebanonCounty. The Horseshoe Trail District also holds fundraising events that offer volunteers a chance to get their name out in the community. Leadership at the unit level in scouting also affords parents the opportunity to spend time with their children in a positive way.Various opportunities anything from landscaping, painting (indoors & outdoors), cleaning, and assistance in sewing/repairing canvas.Contact: Dave Matterness – 717-865-4583 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Friends of All Animals | Contact: Gloria Pushnik | 717-272-6466 | foaa2lmf.net777 | North 8th Avenue, Lebanon, PA | www.friendsofallanimals.org
Always in need of foster homes for cats & kittens. Seasonal volunteers are needed to gift wrap during the holiday season and to work at Hersheypark during the park season.
Ongoing need for volunteers to provide a one-to-one friendship relationship with an individual in recovery from mental illness for a minimum of 4 hours per month to improve his or her quality of life.In need of help with updating and designing Compeer website.
Is there a teacher inside you waiting to get out? If so consider volunteering with us. You would be matched with an adult student or a small group of students to help them learn English, improve reading or math skills or gain computer skills in order to work toward a GED, get a job, or prepare for credit courses at a college. These adults want their children or grandchildren to look up to them as models and want to be able to provide academic support for them.Please ask yourself- Do I have the desire to use my skills to help another? If so, we will be happy to provide materials and training.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Capital Region | Steven Early | 717-236-0199 | www.capbigs.org
Volunteers needed to mentor children. Time commitment is about one hour weekly for one year.Contact:
Cornwall Manor P.O. Box 125, Cornwall, PA 17016
- Manor Shoppe Cashiers – The Manor Shoppe is sponsored by the Cornwall Manor Society and is staffed by volunteers. The Manor Shoppe sells an array of gifts, cards, candy and convenience food items. Proceeds benefit HealthCenter and Personal Care residents. The Manor Shoppe is in need of cashiers who are able to volunteer a two-hour shift, twice a month.
- Horizon’s Unlimited Presenters – Horizons Unlimited is a memory stimulation program provided for HealthCenter and Personal Care residents that uses a themed kit. Themed kits range from people, animals and nature, seasons, places to go, holidays and special topics. Kits include a discussion starter manual, slides and script, taped music, memorabilia objects, pictures and more. Horizon’s presenters pick a kit and make a one-hour presentation. Volunteers are needed to present – training and kits are available for this fun fellowship opportunity.
- Gardeners – If you enjoy gardening, then this opportunity is for you! Cornwall Manor’s campus spans over 195 acres and there are many small garden areas and potted plants that need care – that our busy grounds staff are not able to tend. These ‘orphan gardens’ may need weeding, watering and mulching. This is seasonal opportunity can be done whenever it fits your schedule!
- Sewers – Do you enjoy sewing? Consider volunteering with one of two sewing groups that make alterations (mends, sews on buttons, repairs torn seams, etc.) to HealthCenter residents’ clothing. Sewing may be done by hand or by machine and all materials needed are provided. There are two sewing groups that alternate meeting on the third Friday of the month.
- Health Center Greeters – Do you like meeting new people? Enjoy helping others? Are you able to give two hours of your time on a weekend? Sign up to be a Cornwall Manor Society Greeter at the HealthCenter! Volunteers are needed to greet and give directions to visitors coming to the HealthCenter on Saturdays and Sundays. Volunteers share a shift, for one 2-hour shift from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. This easy volunteer opportunity is a “sitting” job and volunteers may read and do hand work like knitting, crossword puzzles, etc. while volunteering!
- Buddy Each Event Safely (BEES) program – BEES transporters escort residents in the HealthCenter to campus activities such as musical programs, plays, picnics or other fun activities. These events are a very important part of residents’ lives and the conversation and positive attitude provided by the BEES makes this program even more special. Volunteers in this program are contacted monthly to determine the activities they wish to attend.
American Cancer Society | www.cancer.org The American Cancer Society is currently looking for a variety of volunteers to fill different positions. We have openings for volunteers to drive patients to their doctors’ appointments, licensed cosmetologists or volunteers to help with our Look Good Feel Better Program, and volunteers to help with clerical duties in our Lebanon office. We are also looking for volunteers to be a part of our local volunteer leadership council, which holds quarterly meetings regarding our programs. Please contact Melissa Murphy, Community Involvement Director, for more information today!”
Contact Person: Melissa Murphy, Community Involvement Director | Phone: 717-397-3745 | Fax: 717-397-1526 | Email: email@example.com
Make a Difference in Your Community | RSVP / Lebanon County | 243 Schneider Drive, Lebanon
contact Margie Groy | 717-454-8647 | LancLeb@rsvpCapReg.org | www.rsvpCapReg.org
Senior Volunteer benefits: transportation reimbursement up to $35/month; free supplemental accident and liability insurance. Volunteers are recognized for their service in print media and on the RSVP website and newsletter.
Unique Volunteer Opportunities: Volunteers have many options: days and hours of availability; free training; assistance with background checks; social interaction with clients and other volunteers. RSVP was established in 1971, and engages senior volunteers (55+) in positions that have a positive impact
Volunteer Categories: Veterans and Military Families; Disaster Relief; Companionship and Telephone Assurance Program; Mentoring and Tutoring; Environmental Stewardship; Meals for families with young children; Meals for homebound adults; Literacy and book delivery programs; Food banks and community meals.
RSVP is part of Senior Corps, along with Foster Grandparents and Senior Companions. It is funded by the Corporation for National Community Service.
Click here to view all of our volunteer opportunities.